Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Happy Thanksgiving!


He'll be dinner soon....

And for today with just a few weeks left a quick reflection of Niger:

Things to Miss about Niger:
-Sleeping right under the stars every night
-FRIENDS- both peace corps and village friends
-Sitting around for hours and talking about....nothing
-The kids
-Walks in the bush
-Niger generosity & forgiveness
-Having time to do whatever I want
-Village life
-Coming out of the bush after being in for a month and appreciating the smallest of things- running water, showers, cups, plates
-Coming out of the bush and eating mediocre Annasara food and thinking its Allah's gift to me
-Getting care packages- tearing them open and enjoying everything to the last bit
-Being a celebrity everywhere
-Belly laughing with villagers
-African sunsets

Things NOT to Miss About Niger:
-Amoebas!
-Bush taxis
-Waking up with random bug bites
-Bugs crawling all over me when I'm sleeping
-Having a food craving and waiting all month to eat it
-People asking for gifts all the time
-Marriage proposals(or maybe I will miss them?)
-Setting up a mosquito net over my cot everynight
-Mosquitoes/ black flies
-HOT SEASON! i.e. 120+ degree days sans electricity
-Constantly being a foreigner because of my skin


Last night a few other PCV friends and I were sitting around eating Oreos(brought from the motherland) dunking them in milk, eating them like they were God's gifts to all of us- appreciating it like no other. I'll miss that-eating Oreos in America may not taste as good! And this weekend it's back to the bush for the Tabaski Fete then a goodbye to Babagade Koira....

No comments: