Sunday, December 14, 2008

How to Make American Food

This past week was Tabaski, a Muslim holiday. It's similar to the end of Ramadan holiday in that everyone gets new clothes, braids their hair, and henna's their feet. For this party nearly every family in the entire village sacrifices a sheep/goat. The insides are mostly eaten the first day then it's smoked by the fire. The second day that smoked meat gets fried up in a big vat of oil, and dear Allah is it delicious! The first day there is a big meal in the afternoon which each women in my concession brings a dish. At the end of Ramadan holiday I made lentils, this time I made "American Food". Since my gas ran out, I had to cook it over a 3 rock stove. So here's the recipe:


Amerik Hawru
2 cups chopped onions
1/4 cup chopped garlic
oil
1 large can of tomato paste
2 small bags dried, pounded cassava
1/4 cup curry powder
1/3 cup peanut butter
1 can of green beans
3 spoonfuls powdered milk
2 liters water
hot pepper pounded
salt
2 poulet maggi cubes
3 cans sardines

3 bags pasta

Saute onion in lots of oil. Add garlic once the onions are translucent. Add all other ingredients. Stir. When cooking pasta be sure to overcook it, normally about 25 minutes. Add all together in one big dish and eat with your hands.

Enjoy! My villagers ate it right up, I'm sure you will too since it's American! Even as we were eating they just kept telling me "Iri go ga te Amerik borey" meaning "We are being Americans".

I walked out of my house and saw this:


Smoking of the meat:


No comments: