Monday, June 18, 2007

We missed you!

After being gone for three weeks in training it was fun to return back to my village. At the end of my installation meeting in March, Haoua, my boss, had told my villagers that I was meant to become a child of the village. They truly take this to heart and take care of me. When I came back after the 3 weeks everyone had counted to the day how long I was gone. I actually had one of my villagers tell me:

"We don’t want you to leave. We want to see you everyday. When you were gone every car we saw we thought “is it Kadija, is it kadija?” But you didn’t come. You were gone a long time, we missed you."


But not everyone was excited. The 2-year olds were still deathly afraid of me. They still screamed at the top of their lungs and cried when I approached. Afterall, I'm most likely the first white person they've seen. When I was walking around one of the women thought it would be funny to ahnd me a screaming child. I held the boy, who of course had no underwear/pants on, in my arms away from my body as he was kicking in screaming. Next thing I know I am getting sprayed with urine all over my new outfit. Well, I guess this was better then a month ago when the baby I was holding shit all over me. Normal. Just another day au village.

No comments: