Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Monthly Rambles...

Well...almost two months, I'm a little behind with the blog. What was my welcome back to the village after returning from Ghana? Mom's of every little baby boy in the village, and every little boy coming to my house, pulling down their pants to show me they've been circumcised! And they were so excited about it! (Circumcision is part of Muslim culture). Definitely gave me a good laugh....

It's been a more or less typical few months in the village- a few weddings, many babies born, and sadly a few babies died. A pair of twins died just days after being born, another little girl that was 2 weeks old died. And unfortunately hunger season has started. I was talking to one of my friends, asking her about how many children she has (although it's generally an impolite question in Niger, as its a sign of how much money one has). She told me 5, but then started naming off all of her children that have died. Shocked, I found out that she has given birth 13 times, 8 children have died. 8. An incredible number that's still almost unbelievable to me.

When I was talking to another villager, I was asking her questions in an attempt to figure out the family tree of the village. After I had written down about 15 people, she busted out with "I married my grandfather." Umm, seriously? No, no this can't be. God is big. Wow, you married your grandfather? God is very big. In the bush in Niger they really only use the terms "child", "mom" "dad", etc, so they don't tend to use uncle or cousins. But finally I broke it down with her, and she married her great-uncle. Still shocking, to say the least.

Other village news? The water pump in my village broke. So I've been going to the next village to fetch water. A 12 minute walk with 20 liters of water on your head isn't the easiest. But, then that pump broke. So next up? the river. But at that point the 20 minute walk through mud and water was just a little too much, so I sent a kid. They did fix the pump in the next village so it's back to fetching my own water.

All that, and I bought 2 goats and 3 chickens! Being an anasara (white person) walking 2 goats on a leash back from market has never gotten me so much attention! One goat will be killed and eaten next month when my parents visit, and one when i leave in December. Although I'm afraid I am already becoming to attached and won't be able to kill either of them!

And most importantly....the machine at Babagade is up and "fufuing" rice! I can't thank everyone enough for the contributions back home.....and the women can't either! They are constantly showing me their hands telling me they won't suffer anymore! They love buffing their enormous calluses!

Unfortunately my camera broke...so until my parents come I don't have any pictures to put up...so stay tuned for the pictures of the rice grinding machine!

1 comment:

NIGER1.COM said...

nice to have you back online
Here read Niger news on http://www.niger1.com