Saturday, March 15, 2008

Another day in their life??

Well it's been a tough couple of days. When I came to Babagade just over a year ago my first morning I walked out my door and there was a baby naming ceremony, (ie baptism) in full swing. My neighbor, Ramatou, was the mom of a new baby, Umu. Since little Umu was born the same time I got to the village I often followed her growing up over the past year. We even celebrated her first birthday a few weeks ago.

This past week Tuesday afternoon as I was leaving my house another friend told me that i should go to see Ramatou as her daughter is sick. I don't think there was anything anyone could have told me to prepare me as I walked into her house for what I was about to see: Ramatou was holding Umu in her lap as Umu's eyes were rolling around and she was constantly moaning. As I choked back tears, Ramatou let me know that Umu had only been sick since the Tuesday before. Within 2 hours, Umu had died. Ramatou, probably in her late 30's, has given birth to 9 children, now only 5 are living.

The funeral was equally shocking. The men took the body almost immediately to bury in the cemetery. The women sat in the house and grieved while the men sat in a group outside. They grieved through the night and the next morning, but by 10 am or so it was back to life as usual. Not a single person shed a tear, including Ramatou. In fact, the women of my village told me that if Ramatou would have cried other villagers would have insulted her. Is that really fair, a women isn't allowed to cry over her own child's death? It was by far one of the saddest sights seeing a suffering child, but nearly equally shocking the way death is just another day in their life.

No comments: