Sunday, May 20, 2007

Marry me?

Here's to a quick example conversation I have with Nigerien men on a regular basis on the topic of: Marriage. Never thought I'd have to deal with marriage proposals, nearly every day. So here's a sample conversation, keeping in mind that Islam allows men up to 4 wives. So they're always looking for more...

Nigerien Male: Hi white person! How'd you sleep?
Me: In health. How's the body?
NM: In health. How's your house?
Me: The house is thankful. How's your wife?
NM: She's thankful. How's your kids?
Me: I don't have any kids.
NM: No kids? Why?
Me: I don't need kids.
NM: You're married?
Me: No.
NM: Great! Let's get married! Take me to America!
Me: No, I don't want you.
NM: Why?
Me: You are ugly!
NM: You're uglier than me! Let's get married.
Me: You don't want me, I don't have strength. I can't pound like the women here and I won't cook for you. I don't know how to sweep. Plus, if you marry me, you must get rid of your other wives.
NM: It's okay, let's get married.
Me: But you have no money. I have a very high bride price.
NM: I have lots of money, let's get married. Take me to America.
Me: If you find 100 camels then I will marry you.
NM: 100 camels! God is BIG! You have truth. Goodbye ugly.

2 comments:

Annie said...

lulu...this is the funniest exchange of words that i've ever read. don't listen to him, though, you're not ugly.

Jody said...

So this is the type of conversation I look forward to for the next 2 years?